Friday, May 2, 2008

USA TODAY ARTICLE ASSIGNMENT DUE 05-02-08

Read the article Has the 'notion of sin' been lost? http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-03-19-sin_N.htm

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary minimum 10 sentences)

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary
minimum 10 sentences)
-Basically what this article is talking about is people not confessing there sins. It says how people will say that they are goin to be in heaven forever. But that if theyre gonna say that then why cant they say that there sinners. And that they sin like every other human being. It talks about a man named Joel Olsteen. He is a preacher at another church. And how he doesnt say anything about sin. Or anything about sinning in his sermons or while he is preaching. he said its because he wants everyone to know that you can change from that. And it talked about the percentage of people that said they were going to heaven and what percent was going to hell.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)
-My thoughts and opinions i guess are different on some of this stuff. One thing is everyone is different. Nobody is the same in this world. Like religion for example. Nobody has the same beliefs as everyone else. People think differently things. That goes for sinning. People know that they sin everyday. Some people will confess that they are sinners, but some will not. I think that as long as you confess to god that you are a sinner and keep you mind and heart straight that you will spend eternity in heaven when he comes back.

Anonymous said...

Read the article Has the 'notion of sin' been lost? http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-03-19-sin_N.htm

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary minimum 10 sentences)


This summary is about people thinking that they don't sin. They think sin is about to die down. Our world does not relize that they are siners. Our world goes out and parties and then go to church and acts like they are christians. Our world does drugs, smokes cigs., drinks beer and they think it is not a sin if you go to church on Sunday. And the fact that they have the Easter Bunny and Santa is teaching our kids nothing about Jesus. All they wont is to get presents. Our world is teaching our kids to be brats. Our world is losing the true christian. Because of all the sins in the world. We are all siners.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)

No, I don't think that sin has been lost.I think that people are sining a lot more in the world then in the old days. Because in the old days every thing was set right. Every thing was done a special way. Now we just do what ever our parents don't really care what we do. In the older days they did not have all the HIV's and drugs like we do now because they did not expermint like we do. That was a good thing they all waited till they got married to have sex. Everyone sins everyone may say a cuss word now and again.They might even do something else, but everyone sins. Because the only person who does not sin is Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary minimum 10 sentences)

The article states that the notion of sin has been lost or misconscrewd. Most people have a sense of what is right and wrong, but no reference to it. Even amongst the christian faith, most have denoted the term "sin" to "socialy unacceptable." Many non-christian affiliated people believe in some kind of punishment for those who do wrong. Over half of the american population do not see premerital sex as a sin. Most do not even consider gambling a sin. Even though premeridal sex is considered "socialy acceptable", adultery is a sin by the majority of the population. Racism marks at about 74% considered sin. Most preachers preach "To hell with sin when being good is good enough." Most do not realize that sin defined in the bible is what it is, sin, and is not pleasing to god.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)

The article states that the notion of sin has been lost or misconscrewd. Most people have a sense of what is right and wrong, but no reference to it. Even amongst the christian faith, most have denoted the term "sin" to "socialy unacceptable." Many non-christian affiliated people believe in some kind of punishment for those who do wrong. Over half of the american population do not see premerital sex as a sin. Most do not even consider gambling a sin. Even though premeridal sex is considered "socialy acceptable", adultery is a sin by the majority of the population. Racism marks at about 74% considered sin. Most preachers preach "To hell with sin when being good is good enough." Most do not realize that sin defined in the bible is what it is, sin, and is not pleasing to god.

Anonymous said...

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary minimum 10 sentences)
I'm not really sure what it's talkin about but I'll give it my best shot. I think they're talkin about people not believing in sin. Most people believe what they do wrong is not a sin I guess. And they're talking about Easter. Sayin that it's like Christmas except it's a bunny instead of Santa Clause. How he was at least a saint. Easter is just a bunny with eggs. Wait, bunnies don't even lay eggs. It makes no sense.
They should have made it a little better than a bunny. Shameful.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)
I think it's all just a bunch of nonsense. People can think what they want to think. It's their own opinion. I never really think about sins. If I do something wrong, I don't call it sin. I just did something I wasn't supposed to do. Everybody makes what they call "sins" every single day. Does that mean everybody is going to hell. It makes no sense to me. And I'm tired of talkin about it.

Anonymous said...

Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY writes on how she and Pope Benedict XVI think the modern world "is losing the notion of sin." Not just personal sins one comments but allowing our world to be polluted and things of that nature. A survey by Ellison Research in Phoenix says 87% of U.S. adults believe in the existence of sin. The percentage of them define it as "something that is almost always considered wrong, particularly from a religious or moral perspective." Pope Benidict prays that, "People who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own 'I,' and their hearts harden in sin. On the other hand, those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from him obtain grace and forgiveness." "Rules have changed" titled the section where its states that 22% of Americans have never neen to church and dont really know right from wrong in the date in time. They still believe there is punishment and consequences but dont not take action for them. Others believe its self, not sin. Therefor they believe that sin us not a notion and is not real.

My thoughts and beliefs are Yes, the notion of sin in the world has been lost but not in my person life. It hard to veiw such a detail without judging others and trying figure out what exactly is a christians opinion on this. A lot of this is relative. We tend to view sin not as God views it, but how we view it; those are two totally different views. A sin is sin no matter big or small. To recieve God's favor to take away all sin and die on a cross is enough for all christians and non-christians to realize we dont need to take forgiveness and notion forgranted.People need to understand that sin is a notion of there own; they commented and not one else but themselves. I am preeching to myself also that i need to grasp the conception or understanding of keeping the notion of sin not lost.

Anonymous said...

The article "notion of sin" is fairly true in this day in age. Most people are to ignorant to realize that they are commetting a sin. It states that we have come to accept the sins we commet is not a sin. It also makes the point about Easter, is it really even celebrating Jesus Christ reserection. It points out that people are way to busy with easter eggs and the easter bunny to reconize what God had done for us. He sent his son Jesus Christ to die on the cross and our society has come to accept that. In this article surveys say that most adults will not admit that they will go to hell. Most adults say they will go to heaven even if they have never seen a pew before. 75% of the people believe that the stories in the bible are true. Most pastures don't preach about sin any more, they say it scares people away. Only 45% of americans say that premaritial sex is a sin.

i believe that this article was very interesting. Our society really is letting sin become exceptable. Most people when they think about Christmas or Easter they think about Santa or the Easter Bunny. A lot of adults are very ignorant when it comes to sinning. They really dont understand the concept. People have come so exceptable to sin they really dont realize they have even commeted a sin. Then you have those people who will go to church on Sundays and Wednesday night and then after they leave church they its like they forget about God completely. I saw a church sign the other day and it read God just doesnt want you on the weekends, he wants full custody. I believe that sign speaks to more than half the world. Sin is going to happen nobody is perfect. Thats why God sent is son to die on the cross. We just need to reconize when we sin and ask for forgiveness.

Anonymous said...

Summary the article in 10 sentences.
-People are getting worried about Easter and the real meaning to it. The whole Easter bunny deal takes people’s mind off what the real story is behind it. People wonder if churches are really preaching about the resurrection of Jesus. People don’t know what sin really is. Sin is when you know your doing something wrong and have that gut feeling in your stomach. Obeying the 10 commandments is not sinning at all. There are people talking about sin and religion all across the United States. The talk about sin gets people to realize what they are doing wrong in their lives. Other people believe if you don’t know what sin is, Easter is point less to you. Understand the meaning of sin and fix your life around.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences.
-I think this article is very good. People who are not Christians need to read it and understand. If people are still questioning themselves about the meaning of Easter need to read this and understand. I think it is trying to tell us that without knowing God, you don’t know sin. If you don’t know sin, you don’t understand the meaning of Easter. The meaning of Easter is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He died for us and rose 3 days later. People still believe that if they sin, God won’t forgive them. This article shows that he will forgive you no matter what you do. This article really touched my heart.

Anonymous said...

This article talks about if sin is lost. It says that sin is not lost not by a long shot. It says that people just don’t believe they are sinners. Many people are beginning to put a price on sin. Many people don’t see gambling or premarital sex as a sin anymore. Pastors think that people don’t know the real meaning of Easter. They believe more in the Easter bunny and Easter eggs. And not that of the forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ. 65% of adults say they are going to heaven and only.05% say they are going to hell. It states they people must began seeing themselves as sinners before they can be forgiven for it.

I believe that is all true. People are floating away from God. I also believe this is showing sign of the end time. But the world is only going to get worse and worse. People have lost their fear of God. They just don’t care anymore. Many feel that if it is not illegal than it is not a sin. But God says that a sin is a sin and they are all equal. Many people do not believe this today. I just hope that people will learn to understand this and work to not commit any sins.

Anonymous said...

Summary

With the new age, new thoughts on heaven arise. The question upon all religious thinkers is universal. Has the “notion of sin” been lost? Many leaders would have to agree that it is. More people are acknowledging their self-centeredness as “normal”. This fact is easily disproved by the Bible. Our understanding of sin has been warped. We see things that are considered “top sins not to do” as guilt free or without consequence. Sins such as racism and sexual harassment have taken place of adultery and addiction. Should we be concerned about something so universal?

My Thoughts

My thoughts on this topic are widely ranged. I have never considered things as being sinful or not. I found it was not my place to judge someone by the standards they hold. My only concern is me and that’s all I really care about. I understand people’s thoughts on sin but, something seems wrong. Sin – in my eyes – is a barrier. It keeps you from doing what you want to do. How could someone else call you on a sinner, when they are guilty of the same? If all sins are deemed equal in the eyes of God, why do we not hold the death penalty for liars? We could not possibly change the view of so many people. People will always hold their personal views – No book or guy in a white suit with a big hat, can possibly change that fact.

Anonymous said...

This article is basically saying that people are beginning to believe there is no such thing as sin. People are morally beginning to corrupt, and forgive what some conceive to be unforgivable. Many are angry, as people are not taking pre-marital sex, gambling, and other major offenses to religion as minor mistakes that will be forgiven easily. People are now beginning to wonder, just what is a sin, and what is not. Many holy people are frustrated with the other claimed to be holy people. Another conflict between ourselves caused by religion. Just what is right, and wrong? That is what people are beginning to wonder about lately. They want to live before they die, I suppose. Before different things were absolutely bad, and now they are acceptable. Things that were fine before are forbidden now. What in the world is going on?


Here’s my view. For those of you who are offended by this, I am sorry for hurting you. I hope that this will make you think more clearly, though. I have no problem with Christianity, all though, I am not a Christian. For those of you who change your opinion about me because of it, I am so sorry. This does not make me a bad person, nor does it make me absolutely wrong either. I believe life is full of choices, and that once we make one it starts us on a road. Once we travel along that road for awhile, we learn about how to avoid pot holes, and how to avoid dangerous short cuts, that could get us lost. I believe that there may be something out there, but I do not know that. I have no proof, and I am a very literal person. I am a good person in my own opinion, I just have to have reasons for everything. What happens to me after I die, does not affect my life right now. If it weren’t for the fact that we live off of it, I would say money is a ridiculous concept. The bible says that we were basically oblivious to everything until Eve messed it up. We have suffered for a long time just because she made one mistake. I don’t know if I believe in sin, or not. I have morals, like hurting another human or animal, is a bad thing to do. I believe everyone should be treated equal, no matter what. I also believe that religion has caused many a war, which it should not have. I don’t care that you stand up for what you believe in, but that’s your decision, not mine. It is your decision to believe in what you do, and follow that with your heart. As for me, I guess I am lost, and I am glad of it. I think that if God is so forgiving like he is envisioned, he will forgive everything, even the ignorance to right, or wrong. I hope that if it comes to it, and I am wrong about this, he will even forgive me.

Anonymous said...

This article is about sin. This world has a lot of sin in it. Its getting worse and worse every generation. The pope doesn’t like that very much. The pope thinks that Christians are forgetting the meaning of Easter. They are thinking of chocolate and Easter bunnies. Not the resurrection of Jesus. Also they are thinking Christmas is just gifts for them. Some have no clue its Jesus’ birthday. They are scared of what’s happening to the world.

Well this article is very true. People are forgetting about Christ. They are out filling there pages full of sin and have no clue how to be forgiven. Ill admit Im not perfect but I have more since than most people. People should really think before they act. Most of what they are doing is hurting them in more ways than one. It s hurting there bodies and gods faith in them. If they would just stop and think they would have a much better chance of not sinning. They would be better off. That’s some of what I think.

Anonymous said...

Summary:
Has the 'notion of sin' been lost?

The modern world doesn’t think the same way about sin as they used to. Pope Benedict XVI says “the modern world is losing the notion of sin”. Not just personal sins like greed or lust, but social sins too. Social sins are things like polluting the earth and allowing injustice to happen. Reverend Albert Mohler doesn’t even give out a single jelly bean for Easter. "All the Easter eggs and the Easter bunny are even more extraneous to the purpose of Easter than Santa is to Christmas," Mohler says, "at least Santa Claus was based on a saint. A survey by Ellison Research found the 87% of adults believe in the existence of sin which is defined as something that is almost always considered wrong. Only 45% of the people surveyed thought premarital sex was a sin and 30% said gambling was a sin. 65% of adults say they will go to heaven. Only 0.05% said that they believe they will go to hell. 75% say they believe the biblical account of Jesus' death and resurrection is literally true.


My thoughts:

I think that people act sinful and don’t even realize it, or just don’t care. I agree that the world is losing the notion of sin. I think that polluting the earth is a sin and everyone should stop doing it. Not only is a sin, but we are destroying an Earth that was given to us. Sooner or later, it is going to get so bad that we mess something up. I think if people want to go to heaven, they should follow the rules. I know I am a sinner but no one is perfect. I believe that I will go to heaven because I know Jesus will forgive me for all of my sins. I believe in God and I know he loves me no matter what. I know this because he gave his son for my life, yours, and everyone else’s.

Anonymous said...

Summary the article in 10 sentences. (Article Summary minimum 10 sentences)
It is talking about god which is good. It is also stupid to becouse of Binidicte.He is saying that christians are sining.He slso says that lust is sining whith other stuff. He says that about over populating to.Rev.Albert Mohler agrees whith him to.It is really just talk. It is what they the other people belive in.When they say that how do you know they are right? You dont so dont do it inless you think about it.










Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)I think it is stupid. They are talking about what some one else belives in. You dont need to juge people. You should notlisen to other people. You shoulld belive in what you wont. Not what they wont you to do. You dont need to lisen or belive every thing you hear.Unlss you hear it your self then belive it.But that is stupid about the sin article.
So do what you wont.

Anonymous said...

It talks about Christians. It basically says that Christians do not confess there sins. It says that they say they are going to heaven. But when it comes down to saying they are sinners they do not fess up. The thing is that everyone sins. Some people just don’t accept it. Joel Olsten says that people can change from that. That the people of the world can accept the sins that they do every day. People need to accept the fact that they are not perfect. That’s why God sent his son to die on the cross for us. So that me and you may be forgiven for all the things that we may do. All we have to do is accept him as our Lord and
Savior.

Then, give me your thoughts, views, or opinion on the article in 10 sentences. (Minimum 10 sentences)


I agree with this article. People do not live up to what they say. I don’t see why everyone can’t accept that they are sinners. If they are saved by the grace of God then they should know that they are sinners. People need to fess up and accept it. I really agree with Joel. He is a very good preacher and speaker. He defiantly knows what he is talking about. Every one needs to focus on the important things in life. They need to turn their life’s over to God.